Weapons and armour

The place for suggestions more than one year old.
Ithilidin
Player

Weapons and armour

Post by Ithilidin » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:43 pm

It might be a pain, but I think it would add a bit to combat if weapons and armour were to do something other than just hit and be used for stats.

Weapons:

Weapons should have two catagories added to them.
Accuracy - Adds or detracts from hitting chances.
Speed - Determines the amount of hits you can gain.

A two-handed weapon, should do massive amounts of damage, but it's speed should be low as well as accuracy. A two-handed sword or axe, should do 350-400 damage at 120. On a scale of 1-100, accuracy should be 40-50, speed should be 20-35. What this means is that due to the size and weight of the weapon, accuracy of the weapon should mean that a person should miss more while getting fewer attacks due to recovery.

Likewise a level 120 dagger should do 175-225 damage with 90-100 accuracy and 90-100 speed, meaning that you can get nearly all your hits in and be close to always landing them. You do less damage with them, but make up for it by getting in more attacks. This should balance out against a two-handed weapon. These two being the extremes of size and damage, other weapons should fall in between them.

These are just starting numbers and something that will take a while to tweak and figure out, but I think that it is something that should be implemented to make weapons more desirable, at least more interesting.

Armour:
The material of an armour should reflect it's protectiveness. Leather should not protect as well against steel or mithril. With the talk of removing class restrictions and alignments on them, A thought occurred to make things interesting.

Cloth armor: paper, organic, skin, ink, flesh, cloth, light, wool, energy, fire, water, silk, ice
Light armor:bone, clay, mud, rubber, ceramic, leather
Medium armor: scale, bronze, copper, wood, silver
Heavy armor: gemstone, adamantite, steel, gold, concrete, crystal, iron, onyx

Heavy armor should give the highest AC, but at a cost. While wearing it and walking, more movement should be used when moving, there should be higher movement taken in combat while wearing it. A slight decrease in defenses that require dexterity while wearing it, a bonus while wearing a shield.

Oppositely, cloth armor should have low AC, but while moving, takes less movement, slight increase to defenses involving dexterity, uses less movement in combat, with possibility of shield block decrease, depending on material.

This is assuming full suits of the above, either full heavy or full cloth. This is just a rudimentary suggestion at the moment, so focusing on just the possibilities of all of this.
A line runs separating light from dark.
Another runs separating fantasy from reality.
It is where these two lines cross that I stand.
(/|)
Tá tír na n-óg ar chulan tí-tír álainn trina chéile.

Ithilidin
Player

Re: Weapons and armour

Post by Ithilidin » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:13 pm

a message to bump
(/|)

Mythology
Player

Post by Mythology » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:13 am

the speed/accuracy issue seems a little unbalanced though.

You take a 350 dmg weapon, perse, with a 50 accuracy and a 35 speed. So, out of 100 attack possibilities, 35 will land. out of these 35, half will hit, so rounding up say 18. 18 * 350 avg = 6300 possible dmg.

A dagger, at 175-225 dmg (say 200) with a 90-100 accuracy (95) and 90-100 speed (95)...

Out of 100 chances of doing damage, you have 95. then 95% of 95 is 90.25, say 90. 90 x 200 = 18000.

Yeah.. that's a little off. With number tweaks, I could see it. I could also see this:

Speed rating 1-3. each round you get your normal and haste attacks as normal. but with a two handed weapon (withering axe, staugaard sword), the speed rating on the weapon is 1. So, you get one more attack (second attack) with that weapon.

So you'd get first, second, and haste. 3 attacks per round. titans would get 4, with titanic attack.

Even this seems off though. Nobody would use these two-handed weapons anymore (like anyone but a titan uses them anyway).
-Mythology, the Anonymous Anarchist

Ithilidin
Player

Post by Ithilidin » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:07 pm

Of course the numbers are off. :P This is something to be introduced as new, so it is all theory and guesses. I just set up a model of example, not to be followed strictly. But daggers should hit more often, while doing less damage per hit than a two-handed weapon, which should hit less often, depending on the protection and dexterity of their foe.
(/|)

RPB
Player

Post by RPB » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:17 pm

like anyone but a titan uses them anyway
I was rather offened by that comment Myth :(

Mythology
Player

Post by Mythology » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:33 am

Sorry, I guess that comment stemmed from my belief that dragons shouldn't have the 2h in 1h ability, but should have an ability to use their claws in battle.

Emtae
Player

Post by Emtae » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:15 pm

Well, I like some of the ideas. There is a good use of them Ith, my only thoughts, were what Myth said, way to much damage, and then the accuracy idea. I am not to sure atm, how it all works. I did like the weight of armor taking away speed, and movement. If coding would allow, a damage to certain parts of the body would work well too. Like getting hit in the head, or feet etc.

The two handed weapon style, only dragons and Titans use them 90% of the time. Evil gets screwed there just a bit, they get no bonus. If I were to say would even that out, let Hell barons use the 2 handed style, they don't get shit for charge, however, minotaur aren't a bad class by any means, just that, vampires are about 3 times better and over balanced. So it makes minotaur look like shit, giving minotaur would add some much needed power. <titans evil counterbalance>

On dragons losing the 2 handed weapon style, I agree, and giving them the claw ability, hell yeah. With also rendering.
For a weapon Idea, I am pretty sure I heard Syn say he may do this, giving weapons that work with the hand 2 hand. My only reason for this is because of Slayers and vampires shifting, and being able to do over powered attacks when upping hand 2 hand damage. Slayers mainly with the Monk martial arts and catch.

Daggers, they shouldn't miss often, adding some hr to them to enchant onto them wouldn't be a bad idea. My only real problem with lower the damage would be, it now makes classes with low magic pretty much useless. If you make it so a titan can't hit, its damage is shot to shit, and it has no mana. And there are a few other races that would feel a very deadly affect from this move too. Just a thought.

Emtae

Emtae
Player

Post by Emtae » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:53 pm

One more idea I had will help out Witches/warlocks a bit.

When weakened to a point that your stregth isn't as high as the weapons weight you are holding, you will lose attacks, can't hold up the weapon to block etc. If you are wielding a weapon say, 15 weight, and you str is lowered to 14, if you remove it, or it is disarmed, you can't rewear it. This will make it so that the person who removes all wears all, will rethink how their battle plan if they lose their sanctuary.

Emtae
Like the moon over the day, my genius and brawn are lost on these fools.

Mythology
Player

Post by Mythology » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:04 pm

Good call on your last post there, Emtae.

Elorial
Player

Post by Elorial » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:28 pm

[font=Comic Sans MS] [/font] I like the idea. I play a MMORPG called Tibia and when you look at a weapon or some armor, it will tell you the defense and attack stats. I think that would be a lot more helpful. Or a guide on reading the current stats of objects. Of coarse, knowing me, there probably is one that I am just totally unaware of. If that's the case could you guys post the help keyword?

Emtae
Player

Post by Emtae » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:58 am

I am not to sure what you are saying, you mean, if you look at an armor you can see the stats, and affects it has? If you get a Knowledge scroll, have lore skill, or the identify skill, you can see what the stats of an armor.

I would like to have a command where you can see what other people are wearing. The description of what they are wearing. People restring there armors and weapons but you can't see any destription other than the short. If you could, <Review> <Character> <armor type>. The review being like a look command, but just something I thought would be useful in looking at peoples stuff, for RP.

Emtae

Mythology
Player

Post by Mythology » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:37 pm

Then people would have the viable option of changing the extended desc for each item.

Elorial
Player

Post by Elorial » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:35 pm

Yea i mean that when you click the item and hit "look" it says its attack and defense stats, in a simple form. Ex: atk-30 def-25

Emtae
Player

Post by Emtae » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:01 pm

I think I know what you mean. I think they have the slash, bash, etc for possibly making armors stronger against one type of an attack, vrs, another, like great against bash, but weak against slash. Only think it really affects is exotic, but... no one uses it any way, it is a pretty useless skill atm. So we have the way things are, so i believe.

The current weapons, have a ... 25d3, it is like rolling a 25 sided dice 3 times. The average damage is going to be like 50 (i think i am right) So you could possibly do 75 damage, or 3 damage, depending how the 3 rolls are. So thats is why they aren't simple, to add variable affects, not always huge amounts of damage, sometimes, you don't always do a lot of damage.

Emtae

Crawley
Player

Post by Crawley » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:18 pm

accually i belive that would be 25, 3 sided dice. at least that is the way it's worded in most table top games. so you would have a min. of 25 or a max of 75.