Martial Arts

The place for suggestions more than one year old.
Ardghal
Player

Martial Arts

Post by Ardghal » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:01 am

I think ninjas should get martial arts. Seems to make sense to me.

Also, perhaps the game could expand martial arts... Different martial arts styles etc...
Inconceivable!

Mythology
Player

Re: Martial Arts

Post by Mythology » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:51 am

If fighting hand to hand, you have three fighting stances you could be in.

Balanced -- This is the initial stance you start with. You have an equal amount of defense and offense abilities.

Defensive -- You're fighting to tire your opponant out before you strike. Because of your ability to see attacks coming before your opponant moves, you are still able to parry your opponants attacks with your arms, and your defenses work a lot more often. However, your hit roll suffers greatly and you will not get in many attacks (good for a magic battle).

Offensive -- You know when and where to strike, and you're good at it. You can strike your opponant as they are trying to strike you, and there's not a damn thing they can do to prevent it. Your attacks are more damaging, and deliver a hefty blow. However, your rush in and beat them up fighting style causes you to get hit more often than normal, and your scars will show it.

Martial Arts -- Monks and Ninjas
-Mythology, the Anonymous Anarchist

Ithilidin
Player

Post by Ithilidin » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:21 am

That should be something that is applied to all fighting, really.
A line runs separating light from dark.
Another runs separating fantasy from reality.
It is where these two lines cross that I stand.
(/|)
Tá tír na n-óg ar chulan tí-tír álainn trina chéile.

Emtae
Player

Post by Emtae » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:41 am

Quick stop in. Ninja's should not have hand to hand. That just gives away to powerful of a skill for any one to use. Some skills shouldn't be accessed by certain races. Slit throte etc.

emtae

Syn
-=IMP=-

Post by Syn » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:15 pm

Ardghal wrote:I think ninjas should get martial arts. Seems to make sense to me.

Also, perhaps the game could expand martial arts... Different martial arts styles etc...
Yep we are planning on it. Current hand-to-hand is a bit boring. Will pour some more work into it when i have time.

Actually, more to all combat than just hand-to-hand, for example diff. ways of attacking with a sword, as there are more ways to fight than to just hack, hack, hack. Fighting styles have always been a passion of mine, we will have to work out some good ones.

Ithilidin
Player

Post by Ithilidin » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:50 pm

For a start, I would like to see something like the below for players, in general. Not the numbers perse, but something along that line of thinking.

combat mode offensive - 15% more damage, 10% less accuracy, 5% less AC.

combat mode balance - No changes from damage, accuracy or AC.

combat mode defensive - 10% more AC, 10% more accuracy, 10% less damage.
A line runs separating light from dark.
Another runs separating fantasy from reality.
It is where these two lines cross that I stand.
(/|)
Tá tír na n-óg ar chulan tí-tír álainn trina chéile.

Ashlynn
Player

Post by Ashlynn » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:56 pm

Emtae wrote:Quick stop in. Ninja's should not have hand to hand. That just gives away to powerful of a skill for any one to use. Some skills shouldn't be accessed by certain races. Slit throte etc.

emtae
A very large part of Ninjustu is hand to hand combat oriented. Any weapon used by a Ninja is supposed to be deadly, including their hands.

llauf
Player

Post by llauf » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:40 pm

Personally I believe ninjas need a name change. I dont see how they fit in with the other classes.