Elf/Seraph Race

The place for suggestions more than one year old.
Elzamine
Player

Elf/Seraph Race

Post by Elzamine » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:54 pm

I've talked with a few people about the race and various ideas, but I don't believe the idea has been presented formally.

While elves aren't seriously lacking or broken, the race does need some work. However because of such, I think that's why it's being overlooked.

For some reference I'm going to post the elf stats
Affects: haste
Skills: archery, bow, hide, sneak
Special abilities: +5% accuracy when shooting ranged weapons
Immune to: None
Resistant to: magic
Vulnerable to: iron
Str: 20 Int: 22 Wis: 20 Dex: 21 Con: 20
Max health: 2500 Max mana: 3750 Max movement: 2800
Size: medium

While overall the elf stats are fine.. we get into the affects, skills and special abilities.. which I think is what the race is lacking in. The haste ability is a bit messed up, it doesn't give you a dex bonus. Nice not being able to dispel it, but even so, getting haste isn't that difficult really.
Archery and bow, makes sense for the race.. and the special ability of 5% accuracy on ranged is a good idea, but really doesn't do much.
Again, it's all 'alright' add ons, but nothing special. Especially once you're of a higher level and you have all the skills anyway. The main problem with elves/seraphs is that all their 'special' racial abilities and skills, are things that any race can get and that most characters will have through their classes. There is no real elf ability.

Moreso.. I can't understand the concept of how any other race can be just as good of an archer as an elf. So looking for a racial sort of ability, I thought something to do with arrows or ranged could be beneficial to the race. As well as something that could hopefully be balanced well.

I was thinking along the lines of combining spells and the archery ability. Something like an acid arrow spell, that you could use in battle; that when cast, shoots an acid based arrow, that uses a certain amount of mana as well as shoots an actual arrow from your quiver. Sort of like an instant infuse sort of concept. It'd just be nice to have some sort of way to customize elven archery battle tactics.
Nibelung also mentioned that instead, being able to cast something on the bow, that would last a certain time duration and shoot certain spell/elemental based arrows.

With trying to balance it, I figured these magical type arrows would only be able to be used close combat perhaps. As well as the mana cost to use them, it would help give elves something to use all their mana on.

It's a really rough idea, but elves could use something offensive. Since they're not exactly defensive but have low hp, offense would help. As well it gives elves/seraphs something to master in the archery field.. It's just frustrating have the same archer ability as a titan or mino. The 5% bonus doesn't really do much.

A few people have also mentioned fletching as a skill.. it's an alright idea again.. but still, arrows aren't difficult to get. Making it so elves make the best arrow still wouldn't do much, as you can't make a fletched arrow overly powerful or we'll run into the same issues as ranged had before for the insane damage. So you'd get a projectile slightly better than what's available to everyone else, I just can't see it being beneficial enough to matter.

I figure every race should have something special just for it, and I imagine that's the plan for the end product. Just thought I'd give an idea to help elves along the way

~E

Nopraptor
Player

Re: Elf/Seraph Race

Post by Nopraptor » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:29 pm

This is always a hard topic to discuss because everyone has their own impression of how an Elf is supposed to be, and each perspective would have the racial stats and abilities arranged differently. For example, I don't see Elves as a warrior race at all. That's not to say they lack the ability to fight, but in most universes/worlds/books Elves tend to be a peace loving race. That being said, they're always depicted as having excellent eye-sight and dexterity which of course makes them superb archers and can make them proficient with standard melee weapons. Also, Elves are typicall referred to as being a magical race but that doesn't mean they have any innate magical abilities. While some elves have been known to dabble in the arcane arts, there aren't as many wizards and sorcerers as there are clerics and bards or rangers. Now, in the interest of "improving" elves, I think a Bow Augmentation skill would be acceptable. If kept unique to elves, it would certainly give certain advantages in most situations. Each augmentation could be treated as a spell-like ability and practiced as such. For balancing issues, an augmented arrow shot might have a lowered accuracy. To improve it further, there could be a general augmented bow skill that would increase the duration of said augmentation And increase accuracy. This way, characters don't become too powerful too quickly. Adding ice, fire, acid, lightning and any number of other augmentations would definitely help exploit weaknesses and provide advantages in various situations. I have other opinions about Elves in general like them being more slender which would warrant a lower strength, but that's a topic for another board.

Elzamine
Player

Re: Elf/Seraph Race

Post by Elzamine » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:06 pm

I'll agree with you there. Elf is such a broad term it's really hard to pin point which type our 'elf' applies to. While a lot of the times elves are portrayed as peaceloving, this isn't a peaceful game lol. I have to agree with your basic recap of elven abilities though, and I'll agree, physical strength isn't one of their better skills, compared to other races.

The lowered accuracy on an augumented arrow shot is another good idea for balancing. Something to take into account anyway. Elements can indeed give the user the abiliy to exploit weaknesses.. where an arrow shot isn't constant damage like a held weapon, there's still the lag between attacks and that. I'm not sure how much trouble it would be to work on balancing this. Perhaps put a limit on what kind of spells/effects can be used with the arrows perhaps.