What do you look for in a MUD?

The place for suggestions more than one year old.

What do you look for most in a MUD?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:49 pm

PK combat
43%
Roleplay
29%
Meeting / talking to people
No votes
Questing and solving puzzles
29%
Literary or artistic stimulation/merit
No votes
Working on the game as an immortal
No votes
Gathering wealth in money and items
No votes
None of the above
No votes

Total votes: 7

Syn
-=IMP=-

What do you look for in a MUD?

Post by Syn » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:44 pm

As I'm sure Ive told some people already me and whisp have been talking over some of the things in the game storyline or plot so as we can finish it up and post it for people to be able to read.

This interested me so I posed to you a question: What is the main thing you look for in a MUD? I'm obviously aware that most of you are here for more than one reason. I wish there was a way to specify multi-choice in these polls, but I don't know of one, so just pick one and stick with it.

This'll also help me gauge what to implement next, after this release is finished.

I hope these choices arn't too confusing for anyone. I tried to make em pretty clear and literal.

Thank you for your time as always comments are appreciated 8)
Last edited by Syn on Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Riane
Player

Re: What do you look for in a MUD?

Post by Riane » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:03 pm

I can't bring myself to actually choose one answer for the poll, so instead you get a detailed answer! Hooray!

*PK combat:
Obviously, I'm not into this one. Definitely not my style, thus why I like how the PK system is here. I love that I'm never really forced into a PK situation, with the slight exception of running to POA (which I never do anymore anyway ;)). If I was actually forced to PK in a MUD, I'd be gone quickly.

*Roleplay:
I like a MUD where roleplay is encouraged, but never really forced. Here, for example, we basically take on our own characters and inadvertantly play them out. IE: Riane the passive little social pack rat of a draconian, Lukus the crafty little snake boy, Sirrus the crazy little kitten fiend, Nibelung the even bigger pack rat of an immortal, etc. :D We're never forced to roleplay formally, which I like, but at the same time we keep all (most) of our OOC stuff on the one channel. I'd like to see a little bit more roleplay than we have here, now, though. By this, I'm referring to the fact that our races and classes mean virtually nothing except what skills we gain as we level. :P

*Meeting/Talking to people:
Haha, do I even really need to answer this? I -need- to be able to talk to people. I like a MUD where people are generally friendly and social, and I can just relax and talk when I want. In this way, I don't like a MUD with a huge player base - people seem to get more clique-y, and interact as a whole a lot less frequently. I like a MUD large enough that there are generally always at least a handful of people active, but small enough that it's like a big family, albeit an extremely dysfunctional one.

*Questing and solving puzzles:
I do really enjoy MUDs that encourage this, without forcing it too much. I wish we could have more frequent Global Quests; however, I'm aware of the time this takes to assemble. Our questing system is kind of uninteresting at the moment, but it really does beat flat-out leveling. Puzzles are always good, but I'm generally braindead and can't figure them out. :D (Aside from that stupid block game, mrrrph.)

*Literary or artistic stimulation/merit:
So fancy, really! But yay literary and artistic stimulation/merit! (You know you always wanted to say that, too) As for that, I want a MUD that is rich enough in its descriptions that I can imagine what the immortal had in mind when it was being created, or I can at least be assured that they did have something in mind. :P I'm all artsy too, so I like to be inspired every now and then by the characters and descriptions. Good writing = major plus.

*Working on the game as an immortal:
Hello! I am a mortal, and do not function as an immortal anywhere. :D

*Gathering wealth in money and items:
Ahaha, yes! I love to be able to be a packrat. Carrying tons of items, however unrealistic it may be, is something I find very entertaining. How many roses do I have now? <3 Plus, when I manage to collect wealth, it makes me feel better about how poor I am at doing so offline. ;)

*None of the above:
Yes, that's it exactly! None of the above! (Blatant lie). Anyway.

There, I've officially redeemed my indecisive ways. :)

Angrothy
Player

Post by Angrothy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:51 pm

As Riane said, I as well could not pick just one, instead i just picked PK combat, I greatly enjoy PK combat, I may suck at it, but its generally fun. Reagents just might make this one a little bit more entertaining however.

Roleplaying is always a plus, Like Riane said, It definetly should not be forced. I much enjoy having an OCC channel where, if i need to, i can talk about things outside of the game within reason. And Riane also pointed out the Race/Class situation. It's true races and classes take no part in our Roleplaying as is.

Meeting and talking to new people is always a plus.. If we didnt want to play with other players we'd go play single player muds im sure. I like a nice friendly society but at the same time competitive society as well. It tends to make the mud much more interesting.

Questing and solving puzzles are 2 things that make a game much more exciting. I love questing, I certainly would pick questing here over pretty much any other place i have quested at. Though as Riane did say, its kind of plain.. Puzzles or more mini-quests would be exciting.

Literary or artistic stimulation.. well ANSCII is pretty cool. I dont really have anything to say about it though.

working on the game as an immortal.. well exactly what Riane said.. :P

Gathering wealth in money is awesome. I love having a ton of gold that i do absolutely nothing with. I dont collect many items really. I would however love to see some better spears.

I would like to see Combat placements, for instance let there be a first row a second row and a 3rd row, 1st being closer to your enemy 3rd being further away from your enemy.

Weapons with specific attributes depending on the type of weapon would be great too, for example a whip being harder to parry, A huge hammer sort of weapon causing knockdown damage.

I cant really say there is one thing in particular that i look for in a MUD, As long as Quests aren't limited per day and i can do as many as i want i think i will be a happy camper.

Syn
-=IMP=-

Post by Syn » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:46 am

Hey everyone,
8)

I should say again don't worry too much about picking one. Basically what i'm looking for is an area of focus to implement something new after we do this new release.

Once our friendly site admin Lukus adds in a poll option where you can answer more than one choice I'll probably re-run the poll.

For now though ask yourself: if I could have the coders focus on one aspect of the game, which should it be, if I couldn't have them all improved simultaneously?

I don't want anyone to feel as if we have to be restrictive in anyway, or that we can't have all of the choices improved, as I eventually plan on.

Just trying to be a people pleaser every once in a while. 8)

Thank you all for your responses.

Hope this helped,
S.

Mythology
Player

Post by Mythology » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:18 am

in choosing just one, I had to choose questing/puzzles. even though i'm an avid pker, i think one of the largest problems with pk right now is the small player base and people's fear of losing a few minutes of their precious lives.

I do agree strongly with what Ri and Angroth both have said, though. There are a lot of areas that need work in this game. Its an everchanging evolutionary process (cheap plug for rpb's church).

the reason why i chose questing/puzzles is because simply, the hack and slash methods of this game (which aren't unlike most games) is tedious and boring. a way of earning merits (experience, wealth, status[quest points]) with a variety of quests and puzzles to solve is awesome.

i know there's plans for this for the future already, i just hope that they are something put into the fore front to incourage people who have loved this game for years to play it instead of idle in social. i admit, i'm guilty as charged of this also.

edit:
I almost forgot to add this one thing..
Being the wealthiest player on the game, of course I enjoy gaining wealth. even though i'm the wealthiest i continue to strive to gain more wealth, even though i personally have nothing to really spend it on :)
-Mythology, the Anonymous Anarchist

Ithilidin
Player

Post by Ithilidin » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:48 am

I'd have to say none of the above, actually.

When I play a mud, I look for a balance in things. Not only among races and classes, but items you can acquire, the quest system compared to rewards, things like that. The second thing that comes to mind is the atmosphere. Is it full of jerks, is it relaxed, what? If it doesn't feel right, chances are, I will lose interest. Once I figure out if I like the place, then I look around for history, how good are the descriptions and areas set up. All the while, I am looking at balance. And, I know that it differs from person to person and such. That is pretty much it for me. It took about 3 years for me to bother to talk much on gossip and ooc here. :P
A line runs separating light from dark.
Another runs separating fantasy from reality.
It is where these two lines cross that I stand.
(/|)
Tá tír na n-óg ar chulan tí-tír álainn trina chéile.

RedRaven
Player

Post by RedRaven » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:32 am

See Myth's reply. Same answer picked for much the same reasoning, even before reading his post.

Just read Myths Edit. grrrrrr, again applies to me, as I want to regain that position :)
Da Birdman of Sentience

Ardghal
Player

Post by Ardghal » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:09 pm

I have to say roleplaying all the way. honestly the stuff Riane mentioned, about packratting and such, I don't see that so much RP as just personal habit. (Don't mean to bash you RI :P)

I would love to have real roleplaying going on. I don't really know how to describe it that well but I'm sure you all know what I mean-- the borderline creepy stuff where we speak as if we really were that character (except on OOC of course), instead of the usually "cool" talk that most people do. And stuff like what we kill etc... Like a Drow wouldn't go killing the Drow mobs, unless it was a part of their story I guess. Also stuff like skills. If I'm a thief, assassin, ninja type person. I'd want to be able to rely more on stuff like sneaking around, blackjacking and backstabbing- instead of using lots of attacks and circle etc... I think i've made my point.
Inconceivable!

Syn
-=IMP=-

Post by Syn » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:54 pm

Hey guys,
After some consideration ive decided to close this topic for now since it really doesn't work as a one vote thing. I think when/if we get multiple-vote polls in here I'll reopen it or perhaps make a new one.

All is not in vain however because I did get quite a bit of perspective from those of you who offered replies. Thanks as always 8)