Drow Remort Race Name

The place for suggestions more than one year old.
Ardghal
Player

Drow Remort Race Name

Post by Ardghal » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:53 pm

OK Syn said it'd be a good idea to bring this here. So I'm gonna slap some brainstorming on here for Drow remort race names. Because Spectre is kinda bad... esp. if Elf get Seraph.
We wanna see some input, and then later do a poll on the most popular suggestions...

So here's what I got so far..
Nephil / Nephilum / Nephilium : the exact opposite of Seraphim. Fallen Angels.
Shur : dunno what this means but iI've heard it suggested.
Wendigo: Probably unfitting but figured I'd throw it out there all the same
Succubus / Incubus : This one got shot down but figured I'd put it here anyway.
Djinn
Lillin

This is all I have for now but let's hear some more.
Inconceivable!

Rakaryth
Player

Re: Drow Remort Race Name

Post by Rakaryth » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:54 pm

I like djinn!

Angrothy
Player

Post by Angrothy » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:19 pm

If it is going to be changed the best fitting name Nephil, because drows and elves are like opposites. If a Seraphim and a Nephil are opposites it makes most sense to chose Nephil, (Nephilium is a plant, look it up)

Riane
Player

Post by Riane » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:04 am

A big issue here is relevance. Some of these ideas seem nifty at first, but then comes the realization they have very little to do with their original, mortal race.

Incubus/Succubus is a little too off for me. Something about going from a dark elf kind of thing to a demon who, uh, makes nightly visits.. Yeah, I have to pass; it's a little too dark for my tastes. ..Can you imagine those racial skills, though?

Djinn? It seems rather undrowlike to me, and it was, once upon a time, an immortal rank, and so I'm not fond of the idea of giving it away just because a better name couldn't be found.

..I have no idea what a Lillin is, but it sounds pretty. :P

Nephil seems fairly relevant, but I know a lot of current drow aren't exactly fond of it, either. It came up a while back when the name was being deliberated, as did Shur. I don't know if fondness for either has grown since the uberdrow became Specters.

What about a new, unique race? I remember ages ago, the discussion came up on how the drow remort would be described, physically, and there was talk of greater drow with black feathered wings, etc. We were basically inventing how they could look without using some sort of established reference. Is it absolutely necessary that we choose a race that is commonly, or uncommonly, known, or could something be designed for this purpose? ...*Creates more work for the imms* La la la.. :D

Mythology
Player

Post by Mythology » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:53 am

The drow remort was once described as having black, feathery wings, long silver/white hair, extremely dark skin (at this point, almost black), and being very attractive. Their only difference from the Seraph's were the inverse of colors, as per their looks.

Now, look at Nephil. Most of us know it's meaning, if not, Fallen Angel. The opposite of Seraph.

Nephil, or Nephilim would be fine by me. Nephil is more fitting though.
-Mythology, the Anonymous Anarchist

Ardghal
Player

Post by Ardghal » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:02 pm

Yeah I thought of maybe making up a new race too but I am out of ideas atm... But yeah Myth that's exactly the desc I was thinking. And so far Nephil seems to fit the bill perfectly
Inconceivable!

Syn
-=IMP=-

Post by Syn » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:58 am

Hi ladies and gentlemen,
There's some great suggestions here. I'm going to stay out of the discussion myself just so that I don't influence people one way or another just based on what I think. But I just wanted to throw in a brief comment over what Ri and Myth said (great thoughts from both you guys on this topic). We should try to pick something that goes in with the drow race.

Remember the drow can be considered complementary to the elf. This doesn't mean that every ability of the drow is the exact opposite of every ability of the elf, or anything like that, but every evil/good race has a bit of a complement race which has a similar background theme: drow/elf, slayer/vampire, sith/dragon, mino/titan. The theme of the drow/elf pair is that they're very elegant, intelligent and dextrous with a strong ability to manipulate magic.

The drow are darker in both appearance and intent than the elves: they are more eeevil. But they are still very graceful and physically beautiful. So a name that reflects that would be cool, if you were to call it a hobgoblin or something that wouldn't go with the race really :)

And yeah they do have black feathery wings. They arn't quite as big as the seraph's wings because the drow are a little bit smaller (not way smaller but a little less in height). Think raven feathers, seraphs I've always pictured with white or perhaps golden colored wings, like the phoenix.

Hope it helps. Once we have a few more suggestions we'll put up a poll with the choices so people can vote on their favourite.

:)

Cheers

Mythology
Player

Post by Mythology » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:23 am

Thanks for the props, Syn.

I still say Nephil!

Ithilidin
Player

Post by Ithilidin » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:15 pm

Being a Seraph, I am not all that fond of the name, myself. Personally, I would like to have a more original name for it, but little has come to mind as to what to call it. Same should go with a Drow. The names suggested, while good, are not all that great to label a remorted race. They imply something that they really aren't.

Here are possible suggestions for both Elf and Drow remorts. While not great, it is a start. Modity as needed.
Elf:
Ellavim
Ilvanir
Vanir
Hyliphi

Drow:
Du'ar
Darlor
D'kyva
Vardal
A line runs separating light from dark.
Another runs separating fantasy from reality.
It is where these two lines cross that I stand.
(/|)
Tá tír na n-óg ar chulan tí-tír álainn trina chéile.

Mythology
Player

Post by Mythology » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:28 pm

While those are more true to the name, Nephil still sounds cooler :P

Ithilidin
Player

Post by Ithilidin » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:00 am

I'd still rather have a name created than to use the ones first suggested.
(/|)

Mythology
Player

Post by Mythology » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:55 pm

Maybe we should get a little more input from some other drow/specter out there. Spunky and Chaosangel are two I would like to hear input from.

Ithilidin
Player

Post by Ithilidin » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:24 am

And I would like to hear from the other Elves/Seraphs out there on this as well.

Don't make me start poking with a stick, people.
(/|)

RedRaven
Player

Post by RedRaven » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:35 am

While I am not an elf.,,,, I play one on an alt.

I like seraph personally, though there were a coupl on that list that sounded kewl, Ilvaner or what ever, I didnt cut and paste, but like I said, I think Seraph is just fine also.
Da Birdman of Sentience

ChaosAngel
Player

Post by ChaosAngel » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:07 pm

Neph works for me....though Du'ar does roll of the tongue rather nicely

hell im just greatful we got rid of being called windowTreatments (shades)

hey anything to get me wings *Grin*

*adds her two gold pieces*