Leveling System

The place for suggestions more than one year old.
Durron

Leveling System

Post by Durron » Thu May 11, 2006 8:13 pm

I've been playing Sentience pretty much since the beginning and we've gone thru a lot of changes. One thing that I've had a hard time understanding the entire time is the leveling system. The experience required by class level and by total level is way too ranged. Its super easy to level in the beginning and super hard near the end. But this is not due to any single reason For example:

level 29-30 1M experience
level 59-60 3M experience
level 89-90 9M experience
level 119-120 18M experience

That looks to be a pretty reasonable progression for experience throughout the game and I don't really think that these totals need to be changed. The problem that players are running in to is that the amount of experience we are capable of gaining is never more than 5-6k per mob that's worth killing. There are ways to get 100k+ xp for a kill, but the mobs take literally hundreds of rounds of combat, whereas you can kill 20 5k mobs for the same xp in 40 rounds at worst. There is no reason for players to take out more valuable mobs because it takes 2, 3, or 4 times longer to kill them and you only recieve 1.5 to 2x the experience. The current system discourages group leveling, fighting high value xp mobs, it really discourages even solo leveling and therefore return gameplay. I think it is way too easy to level 1-25, and way too ridiculous to level 85+. I know it is not supposed to be easy to reach level 120, and I'm not suggesting we make it that way, but it is too tedious for average mud players to stick it out. I think levels are given away too quick early on and held out of reach near the end. 18M xp is a good number, but we need mobs that offer 40-60k xp per kill that are worth the fight. I think it would keep a lot of players from getting bored and feeling stuck. What do you guys think?

Ardghal
Player

Re: Leveling System

Post by Ardghal » Fri May 12, 2006 4:19 pm

I agree completely.
Inconceivable!

Azaghal
Player

Post by Azaghal » Fri May 12, 2006 11:24 pm

I concure.

Gza
Player

Post by Gza » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:06 am

I agree but I think that remorted leveling should still be a pain in the ass like it is.
Gza - SoldieR IN LifE

Senna
Player

Post by Senna » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:49 pm

I agree, a more fluent leveling system needs to be put into place. I also would have to say that experience for grouping needs to be balanced out. I dragged around so many churchies leveling them up, but honestly, it just wasn't worth it at times because it took so much more...Time. I did it for the company, but that was about all.

+|+ Senna +|+

Mythology
Player

Post by Mythology » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:13 am

When I get home, I'll look and see if I still have the proposal I wrote up for group leveling about 3 years ago. It would still work well, if I remember correctly.
-Mythology, the Anonymous Anarchist

Ithilidin
Player

Post by Ithilidin » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:33 pm

I suggested to Syn a couple of things for making levelling easier.

The first is reducing the penalty on exp for level difference a bit.

The second is to add on exp on damage that is done, 10-25% of the damage you do, you get as exp. So, if you do 200 damage on a hit, you could gain 20 to 50 exp for hitting them, plus your normal exp for killing.

The third was to increase bonuses for grouping with people. Normal exp for two people, 75% for three people, 60% for four people and 50% for five or more. This will encourage people to kill things much higher than themselves for better rewards rather than always staying in the same area by themselves.

Also, to encourage exploration of areas, random teleporting, wizi mobs could be introduced into the game that will hop between open areas. If a player runs into one of these, exp/coins could be rewarded to them.
A line runs separating light from dark.
Another runs separating fantasy from reality.
It is where these two lines cross that I stand.
(/|)
Tá tír na n-óg ar chulan tí-tír álainn trina chéile.

Syn
-=IMP=-

Post by Syn » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:22 pm

Ithilidin wrote: I suggested to Syn a couple of things for making levelling easier.

The first is reducing the penalty on exp for level difference a bit.

The second is to add on exp on damage that is done, 10-25% of the damage you do, you get as exp. So, if you do 200 damage on a hit, you could gain 20 to 50 exp for hitting them, plus your normal exp for killing.

The third was to increase bonuses for grouping with people. Normal exp for two people, 75% for three people, 60% for four people and 50% for five or more. This will encourage people to kill things much higher than themselves for better rewards rather than always staying in the same area by themselves.

Also, to encourage exploration of areas, random teleporting, wizi mobs could be introduced into the game that will hop between open areas. If a player runs into one of these, exp/coins could be rewarded to them.

These all sound like very good ideas, I like the idea of getting exp per hit (or perhaps per skill landed).

Bonuses for group exp sound good too.

As soon as our builders get in some good quests we'll have those give decent amounts of exp, but you can only get them once.